- 1 whole chicken about 4 lb
- 1 large can beer
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp of your favourite dry spice rub
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Remove neck and giblets. Discard. Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.
- Preheat barbecue on HIGH.
- Open beer can and pour off half of the beer. Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can.
- Turn one side of the burner completely off and the other side to MEDIUM. Place the bird-on-a-can on the side that is turned off to use the indirect cooking method. Balance the bird on it's two legs and the can like a tripod. Make sure it is well balanced before closing the lid.
- Cook the bird over MEDIUM indirect heat for approximately 1 1/4 hours or until the internal temperature reads 170°F in the breast area and 180°F in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Carefully remove from grill using oven mitts. Let rest for 10 minutes before removing can. Be careful not to spill, contents will be hot. Carve chicken and serve immedately.